Whether you're on your honeymoon, an anniversary vacation, a romantic getaway or celebrating Valentine's or Galentine's Day, Memphis brings inspiration for date nights (and days!). From food tasting tours and romantic riverboat dinners to music history attractions and late night Beale Street adventures, we're here to help you plan the perfect getaway or unique date night for two!
For Music Lovers
If y'all love music, Memphis is the place for you! Couples can spend days exploring the city's rich music legacy.
Sun Studio - Tour Sun Studio, the birthplace of rock and roll, and hear actual outtakes from the recording sessions of Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley and B.B. King. Touch Elvis’ first microphone and hear the story of this tiny studio in Memphis that launched the careers of legends.
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music - Memphis is known for rock and roll and the blues, but don't forget about soul. Stax Records created a unique Memphis sound that took the world by storm in the late 60s and early 70s. Learn how Booker T. and the MGs, Isaac Hayes, Carla Thomas and many more got their start right here in Memphis at the Stax Museum of American Soul Music.
Elvis Presley's Graceland - No trip to Memphis is complete without visiting the home of the king. At Elvis Presley's Graceland, you and your partner can tour Elvis' mansion, explore his career and legacy at Elvis The Entertainer Career Musuem, as well as see his classic car collection at Presley Motors.
Memphis Rock 'N' Soul Museum - Tour the Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum and witness what made Memphis into the music city it is today.
Memphis Music Hall of Fame - From Elvis Presley and Carl Perkins to Justin Timberlake and Three 6 Mafia, the Memphis Music Hall of Fame is dedicated to all of the music legends that contirubuted to Memphis' rich music legacy.
For more music hot spots, click here.
For Fans of the Arts
From ballet and theater to galleries and musicians, couples who enjoy the arts will have plenty to do in Memphis.
- Overton Square Theater District - Head to the Overton Square Theater District to catch a show at Playhouse on the Square, Hattiloo Theater or Ballet Memphis. Afterward, catch live music at Lafayette’s Music Room or sing a duet together at the Zebra Lounge piano bar.
- Crosstown Arts - Whether it's catching a live performance at Crosstown Theatre, listening to a music group at The Green Room, or simply enjoying pieces from resident artists while sipping a cocktail from Art Bar, Crosstown Arts is a one-stop-shop for couples who enjoy the arts.
- Theatre Memphis - Theatre Memphis recently celebrated its 100th birthday. In honor of the centennial, the theater unveiled some guest-friendly upgrades, and the season announcement is always something to anticipate at this East Memphis date-night staple.
- Opera Memphis - Opera fans will love Memphis' very own opera house. Opera Memphis' eight-month season features some of the most talented performers from the area, as well as nation-wide.
- The Orpheum Theatre - From concerts and comedy shows to touring Broadway productions, The Orpheum Theatre is a must-see attraction for fans of the arts. You and your partner won't regret scheduling your trip around an upcoming show. Want to know more about the theater? You can learn about this theater's 90-year history on an Orpheum tour.
- Tone - This arts organization promotes and supports black artists and musicians in Memphis. Observe the work of local artists at the venue's gallery and during special events.
For Nature Lovers
From river walks and bike trails to paddle boats and kayaks, the Bluff City offers all sorts of adventures for you and your loved one. With one of the largest urban parks in the nation and access to the Mississippi River, Memphis is an ideal travel destination for couples who love the outdoors.
- Big River Crossing - If nature walks are your style, have we got the walk for you! The Big River Crossing is a nearly mile-long pedestrian bridge over the Mississppi River. Take a romantic stroll across the Mighty Mississippi and see some of the best views of the river and the Memphis skyline the city has to offer! The bridge stays open until 10 p.m. so be sure to check out the nightly LED light display.
- Shelby Farms Park - With over 40 miles of trails, Shelby Farms Park, one of the nation's largest urban parks, is the perfect nature escape for your weekend getaway. The park's vast green spaces, abundant wooded areas and 20 bodies of water provide excellent senery for a couple's walk, run or bike ride. Interested in getting on the water? You can also rent canoes, kayaks and paddleboats for two. With multiple vendors and two restaurants on site, you can cap your adventure with an intimate picnic or meal in the park!
- Memphis Zoo - Annually recognized as one of the best zoos in the nation, the Memphis Zoo is a popular attraction for couples. Spend the day exploring the zoo's incredible interactive exhibits featuring over 4,500 animals.
- Memphis River Parks - Looking for a unique downtown experience? Memphis River Parks provide couples with a chance to spend time together right on the Mississippi River. With events like Yoga in the Park (in warmer weather), Firepit Fridays (in the colder months), live music and more, the Memphis River Parks are the perfect attraction for you and your partner.
- Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park - If you want to get away from city life, Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park is a great retreat. Spanning 12,549 acres, the park invites hiking on more than 20 miles of trails that travel through a forest of large oaks, cypress trees and other hardwood specimens. Two-thirds of the park's total acreage consists of dreamily forested areas.
For more outdoor date ideas, click here.
For History Buffs and SightSeers
Are you a couple that likes to explore and get a sense of the town's history? Memphis has a bevvy of tours and attractions that history buffs will adore.
- Victorian Village - Surprise your love with a stroll through the heart of Victorian Village, a neighborhood lined with historic mansions that were known as “Millionaire's Row” in the Gilded Age. Soak up some Southern charm with a tour of the Woodruff-Fontaine House Museum, with its French Victorian architecture and splendid collection of antiques, and the Mallory-Neely House, which retains its original furniture and artifacts.
- Mud Island Park - Discover the Mississippi River at Mud Island Park. It's an obvious spot for good river views, but this island also features a scale replica of the waterway—and don't forget to snap a photo together with the 50-foot MEMPHIS sign. When this unique park is open, it's the perfect spot to take a picnic or watch the sunset over the river.
- Backbeat Tours - Whether you're into music, sightseeing or hunting for ghosts, Backbeat Tours has you covered! This tour company offers a handful of tours, including a Historic Memphis Walking Tour, a Beale Street Walking Tour, a Memphis Discovery bus tour, Memphis Ghost Tour and a Memphis music Mojo Tour.
- Memphis Heritage Trail - African-American achievement helped shape Memphis into the culturally rich and diverse city it is today. Couples can follow this achievement through the Memphis Heritage Trail, a self-guided walking tour that covers everything from the civil rights to music history.
Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure - Memphis - Let the games begin! Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure Memphis is an absolute must for partners who love games. Couples will use their smart phones to explore Memphis through a series of clues and riddles. Are y'all up for the challenge?
Carriage Company - Catch the sights and sounds of downtown Memphis from the back of a horse-drawn carriage with the Carriage Company. Whether you're on a historical tour of downtown Memphis or just enjoying an intimate, evening carriage ride with the one you love most, you'll always cherish the memories made on these carriage rides.
Find more tours and attractions here.
BOOK A ROMANTIC MEAL FOR TWO IN MEMPHIS
From fine-dining experiences to prime steak houses, Memphis has dozens of must-try restaurants for your next date night!
Acre, a cozy fine-dining space nestled in leafy East Memphis, specializes in fresh interpretations of Southern cuisine with global influences. Start with craft cocktails at the beautiful indoor bar, then continue to a stylish interior table or cuddle up on the patio.
Flight, in downtown Memphis, is one of the most popular fine-dining experiences in town. Whether you mix and match a flight of small plates or order individual entrées, couples will share a truly unique dining experience—and be sure to ask your waiter about the wine flights.
If you’re looking for a true Memphis dining experience, there are none more authentic than a barbecue dinner on a Memphis Riverboat. Take a two-hour cruise on the Mighty Mississippi while feasting on a BBQ buffet and enjoying the house blues and jazz band.
More romantic dinner dates you’ll love:
Tiger & Peacock - Overlook vibrant Overton Square while you toast to each other at one of Memphis' swankiest new lounges. Share classy bar snacks or dinner as long as you're here . . . you'll want to linger. Find Tiger & Peacock on the roof of the new Memphian hotel.
Itta Bena - Stroll hand-in-hand down Beale Street, America’s Most Iconic Street, on your way to experience Itta Bena, a posh restaurant tucked away on the top floor of B. B. King’s Blues Club. The azure-tinted windows mean that everywhere you look, you see “the blues” of Beale Street, and the mood lighting gives off an exclusive, speakeasy vibe. After dinner, head downstairs to one of the city’s best live music venues showcasing legendary musicians.
South Main Arts District - If you're downtown, take the trolley to the South Main Arts District, where you can explore a number of art galleries and public installations, shops, bars and historic sites. Enjoy the backyard at Loflin Yard, where you can relax on the porch in rocking chairs while sipping on a julep. For an elegant dinner, make reservations at Felicia Suzanne's, where Southern flavors get an upscale treatment (opening fall 2022).
Folk’s Folly – Grab your favorite mixed drink or cocktail, sit back and enjoy live piano music in The Cellar Lounge, before digging in to one of Folk’s Folly’s prime cut steaks. Private dining options paired with mouth-watering cuisine make this East Memphis steak house a local favorite.
For more dining options, click here.
CHECK INTO THESE ROMANTIC MEMPHIS HOTELS
Planning a couple's getaway to Memphis has never been more exciting: several new hotels in the city are creating memorable spaces for staying overnight and just lounging. New hotels to check out for your romantic getaway:
The Central Station Memphis - With a fine dining experience featuring French cuisine (at Bishop) and a Memphis-themed bar and lounge (Eight & Sand), Memphis Central Station provides an unforgettable luxury hotel experience.
Hotel Indigo - At this hotel in the heart of Downtown Memphis, you’ll be surrounded by art and memorabilia from blues, rock and soul legends, and can enjoy an evening dip together in the rooftop pool or do brunch at the on-site Clover Club. Nearby, Canopy by Hilton offers a similar immersion in the downtown vibe.
Hyatt Centric will mesmerize you with its prime location: This sleek new property sits where Beale Street meets the Mississippi River. Sunset at the hotel's rooftop bar, Beck & Call, is a must.
Of course, some of Memphis' most storied hotels are among its most romantic. Known as the “South’s Grand Hotel,” The Peabody embodies romance with decadent desserts in the lobby as well as fine French cuisine at Chez Philippe. River Inn of Harbor Town pampers guests with chocolate truffles at turn-down. And since no trip to Memphis is complete without a visit to Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley, let the King "love you tender" with a stay at The Guest House at Graceland, a AAA Four Diamond hotel.
Looking for more lodging options? Find your perfect stay here.
HERE FOR GALENTINE'S?
From boutique shopping to nail bars—and some unbelievably tasty cuisine—Memphis is the perfect destination for a treat yo'self girls' trip!
After brunch explore the South Main Arts District's various art galleries and boutique shops. Stop by Stock & Belle for Memphis-inspired arts and goods, as well as clothing and jewelry. Ditty TV's Vibe and Dime offers Americana- and Roots-themed clothing and memorabilia. Visit Art Village Gallery to browse international fine art exhibits and galleries.
Then grab lunch at one of the city's favorite sushi joints, South Main Sushi. After lunch, head across the street to Prima's Bakery and Boutique, where you can shop Latino culture-inspired goods and clothing, while snacking on a sweet treat from the bakery—the macarons are to die for!
Next, head over to Crosstown Concourse's Gloss Nail Bar where you get a complimentary beverage with your nail service.
At night, enjoy a multi-course Italian dinner (with a Southern flair) at the popular Catherine and Mary's, before heading down to historic Beale Street. From blues bars to hip hop dance clubs, Beale has a club for your group.
And we hope you brought your dancing shoes because no night out in Memphis is complete without a stop at Paula & Raiford's Disco.
Find more galentine's and girls weekend ideas here.